Repro ID: H6339
Title: The Swedish Church, Princes Square.
Description: Inside the Swedish Church in Princes Square, Wapping. The first Swedish congregation in London was formed in 1710. The Wapping church was completed in 1727, and was relatively close to the Danish Church in Wellclose Square. The most famous worshipper here was the scientist and philosopher Emanuel Swedenborg, who was buried in a vault under the church. The church closed in 1911, Swedenborg's remains having been reinterred at Uppsala three years earlier. The church always had maritime connections, though its duties to the seafaring population passed to the Swedish Seamen's Church in Rotherhithe when that institution opened in 1899. This illustration appeared in 'Living London' (1901-02), edited by George R Sims.
Creator: G.R. Sims, Living London.
Date: c. 1901
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London