Repro ID: H5323
Title: The pumping station at Crossness.
Description: The Crossness Pumping Station near Erith. This was the final destination of the sewage of south London in Bazalgette's great scheme. The sewage would travel via Deptford and the Southern Outfall Sewer, and would be stored at Crossness and released into the river at high tide.
The Southern Outfall Works,as the Crossness complex was then known, had been opened by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) on 4 April 1865, a month before this engraving appeared in the 'Illustrated London News'. The fine building still stands.
Creator: 'Illustrated London News'
Date: 8 May 1865
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London