Repro ID: PU7828
Title: The City Canal, by Henry Moses.
Description: The City Canal, lying to the south of the West India Docks, was completed by the City of London as a shortcut across the Isle of Dogs between Blackwall and Wapping. It was hoped that the canal would assist in clearing the hundreds of moored ships that clogged the river. Since no tolls were charged the canal was soon considered a liability and was sold to the West India Company in 1829. This illustration appeared in Henry Moses' 'Sketches of Shipping' series.
Creator: Henry Moses (artist, engraver & publisher): Chatfield & Coleman (printers)
Date: 1 October 1824
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London