Repro ID: H0043
Title: The British and Foreign Sailors' Society Institute.
Description: An 'Illustrated London News' engraving of the Institute of the British and Foreign Sailors' Society in Mercers Street, Shadwell, c. 1855. This was an interdenominational society supported by the Free Churches. It promoted Christianity among seamen, and provided religious services for those visiting the port. Its stated objective was the 'Religious, intellectual and social devotion of British and Foreign Seamen'. The Society was formed in 1833, from the amalgamation of groups that grew out of the activities of Methodist preacher George Charles Smith, who started prayer meetings on the Thames in 1814.
Creator: 'Illustrated London News'
Date: c. 1855
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London