Repro ID: H5124
Title: The Strangers' Home.
Description: The Strangers' Home, otherwise known as the Home for Asiatics, Africans, South Sea Islanders, was located on the West India Dock Road. This was set up in 1855, as a joint initiative of Lieutenant Colonel R. M. Hughes, formerly of the East India Company, and Joseph Salter of the London City Mission. Financial backing came from the East India Company and several Indian princes, with a smaller donation from the Peninsula and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (later P&O). The home finally opened in 1857.
Creator: J. Salter
Credit line: Tower Hamlets Local History Library Collection