Repro ID: H2558
Title: Greenwich Power Station.
Description: The London County Council's electricity generating station at Greenwich was built to provide power for London's trams. In this image, taken during the construction of the station, the two rear chimneys stand alone, having been built separately from the main body of the plant. The station survives today on the Greenwich riverside and serves as a back up for London Underground. Colliers no longer berth at the jetty, the station having been converted to burn oil in the 1960s. To the right of the station, the Trinity Hospital, built in 1613-14, can be seen.
Date: c. 1910
Credit line: Greenwich Local History Library Collection.