Repro ID: H0446
Title: A mantlepiece from East India House.
Description: An ornamental mantelpiece that was once in the Director's Court Room of the Old East India House. This was the headquarters of the East India Company, established in 1600. For many years it was the sole company importing goods such as silks, tea, cotton and indigo from the Indian ports Madras, Bombay and Calcutta. Even after the market was widened to include other British traders, the East India Company led the way, and its dominant position and wealth is reflected in the opulance of this mantlepiece.
Creator: 'Illustrated London News'
Date: 30 October 1890
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London