Jump to content | Home
reflecting our cultures
Maritime London Partnership-Bypass site links | Full graphics | About this Site | Feedback
On this site:
You are here: PortCities London home
> The working Thames
The riverside wharvesSend this story to a friend | Printer-friendly version | View this story in pictures
Trinity Buoy Wharf
This wharf in Poplar was the maintenance headquarters for Trinity House.
|Trinity Buoy Wharf. © NMM|
To the west of the wharf is the Orchard Dry Dock, which was opened towards the end of the 19th century.
Clyde Wharf, Silvertown
This was the site of the first sugar refinery in Silvertown, founded by James Duncan in 1864. It was destroyed by fire in 1893.
|Clyde Wharf, Silvertown. © NMM|
Tate's Wharf, Silvertown
This was the company wharf of Henry Tate's Thames Refinery, founded here in 1871.
|Tate's Wharf, Silvertown. © NMM|
Plaistow Wharf, Silvertown
The company wharf of Abraham Lyle's refinery, founded in 1881, and later the amalgamated company of Tate and Lyle.
|Tate & Lyle's Plaistow Wharf. © NMM|
Anchor and Hope Wharf, Charlton
This wharf was home to Castles, a firm of ship breakers.
| Anchor and Hope Wharf, Charlton. © NMM|
Some wharves west of London Bridge
There were many small but busy wharves to the west of London Bridge. These had once been important in the early days of the port, but most had lost their significance by the end of the 19th century.
|Lett's Wharf. © NMM|
By the early 20th century, most of these wharves handled only lighters and barges.
|Phoenix Wharf. © NMM|
Send this story to a friend | Printer-friendly version | View this story in pictures
FIND OUT MORE
Top | | Partner Sites: | | | | | |