By 1910 the advantages of steam turbines were well known and four steam turbine alternators were installed for stage two of the building programme. The original reciprocating engines were replaced by steam turbines in 1922.
The next major change to the station came in the mid-1960s when the steam plant was replaced by Rolls Royce gas turbine generators, similar to those used in jet aircraft.
These originally burned oil, but were later converted to dual-fuel (oil and gas). The generators are housed in what was formerly the boiler house, and they have a total capacity of 117.6 MW, generated at 11,000 volts. This voltage can be increased to 22,000 volts for connection to the London Underground electricity system.
Close to the power station is the coaling pier in the River Thames. This stands on 16 doric style, cast iron columns.
Coal was landed from colliers onto the pier, and then sent to a large number of storage bunkers.
The pier is now no longer used because the relatively small amount of oil used at the station comes by road tanker, and gas and oil do not produce the ash that coal used to, which was removed via the jetty.
Interestingly, the Poet Laureate C. Day Lewis used the space under the pier as the site of a murder mystery when writing thrillers under the name 'Nicholas Blake'!