A history of caring
Throughout its long history, Trinity House has cared for the welfare of mariners and their families.
|Trinity Almshouses, c. 1871. © NMM|
When the Corporation received its Charter from Henry VIII in 1513, they were already managing several almshouses near the Royal Dockyard at Deptford. These were for retired sailors and their spouses and they were later named Rose Cottages.
In 1672, Trinity Hospital was added to the existing community. It was built in Church Street on land donated by Sir Richard Browne, the then Master of the Corporation. A plan of the hospital is shown above. The hospital consisted of 56 almshouses for old seamen or their widows. It was pulled down in 1877.
|Entrance to Trinity Almshouses. © NMM|
The Gate House was built of reddish-brown bricks and is shown in this 1871 photograph.
Mile End almshouses
Trinity House also maintains several almshouses on Mile End Road in East London. The almshouses 'wherein 28 decayed Masters and Commanders of Ships or ye widows of such are maintain'd' were built in 1695 by the Corporation on land provided by Captain Henry Mudd of Ratcliff. Bombed in 1941, the redbrick cottages were later modernised by the London County Council.
|Trinity Almshouses on Mile End Road. © NMM|
This image shows the Trinity Chapel Sailors Home on East India Road in Poplar, London.
|Trinity Chapel Sailors Home, East India Road, Poplar. © NMM|
In the picture, two old sailors can be seen talking to two women and a young girl. Perhaps the men are entertaining them with their tales of adventure on the high seas!
Even today, the Corporation still maintains 19 retirement homes at Walmer in Kent.