PortCities London
You are here:  PortCities London home > People and places > Thames art, literature and architecture
Text Only About this Site Feedback
Explore this site
About maritime London
Early port
Tudor and Stuart port
18th-century port
19th-century port
20th-century port
People and places
Port communities
Crime and punishment
Leisure, health and housing
Thames art, literature and architecture
The working Thames
London's docks and shipping
Trades, industries and institutions
Port of science and discovery
Historical events
Ceremony and catastrophe
London in war and conflict
Fun and games
Things to do
Timeline games
Matching games
Send an e-card

Maritime Greenwich: A World Heritage Site

A World Heritage Site
The National Maritime Museum and the Queen's House
'The Centre of Time and Space'
Early and Medieval Greenwich
Tudor and Stuart Greenwich
Greenwich Town Centre
The Old Royal Naval College
Other buildings of interest
Send this story to a friendSend this story to a friend
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
View this story in picturesView this story in pictures

The National Maritime Museum and the Queen's House

'… illustrating for everyone the importance of the sea, ships, time and the stars and their relationship with people…'

View of National Maritime Museum, Royal Naval College and Greenwich Park from the air.
View full size imageThe National Maritime Museum, Queen's House and Royal Naval College from the air. © NMM
Founded by Act of Parliament in 1934 the Museum occupies the former buildings of the Royal Hospital School at Greenwich, which moved to Holbrook, Suffolk, in 1933. The Queen's House – to which the Museum was originally planned to be confined - was then restored by the Office of Works. 

Main entrance to the National Maritime Museum
View full size imageThe main entrance to the National Maritime Museum. © NMM

The other buildings, originally school wings (1807–76), were converted over a longer period and largely at the expense of the Museum's principal benefactor, Sir James Caird (1864–1954).  

Sir James's collection, together with the Greenwich Hospital Collection – mainly paintings and naval relics – and the collections of the former Royal Naval Museum (both transferred from Royal Naval College, Greenwich), formed the core of the original assets. 

Royal opening of National Maritime Museum by King George VI, 27 April 1937.
View full size imageThe opening of the National Maritime Museum by King George VI, 27 April 1937. © NMM

The Museum was opened by King George VI on 27 April 1937. The Royal Observatory became part of the NMM in the 1950s with Flamsteed House and what is now called Meridian Building being fully opened to the public in 1967. 



The Queen's House

A view of Greenwich and the Queen's House from the south east.
View full size imageThe Queen's House from the south-east. © NMM
The Queen's House is the first purely classical building in England, designed by Inigo Jones (1574–1643) for Anne of Denmark, wife of James I. It was begun in 1617 as two blocks, divided by the old Greenwich to Woolwich road.

From just before Anne's death in 1619 the House remained unfinished and thatched over at ground-floor level until 1629.

Queen Anne of Denmark, 1574 - 1619
View full size imageQueen Anne of Denmark (1574-1619). © NMM

Inigo Jones then completed it by about 1635 for Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles I. He added a single first-floor central bridge joining the two halves, over the road. It was richly decorated with paintings and sculpture.

During the Civil War and Commonwealth period (1642–60) the House was used as a government residence.

In 1661–62 Charles II altered the top floor to a square plan by adding an east and west bridge rooms for further but brief use by his mother, Henrietta Maria.

From house to school to museum

The Queen's House.
View full size imageInigo Jones's Queen's House. © NMM
From the mid-1660s the House became a 'grace-and-favour' residence. For some years around 1700 it was used by the Governor of Greenwich Hospital while the hospital was being built.

In 1806 it was handed over to the Royal Naval Asylum, later the Royal Hospital School, and extended by colonnades and new wings for school use.

After the School moved in 1933 it was restored and opened as part of the National Maritime Museum in 1937.

Useful Links

Find out more
StoriesGreenwich and the story of time
Find out why Greenwich is the home of Mean Time and the Prime Meridian
StoriesThe early port
London grows from a Roman settlement to a bustling medieval port
StoriesThe Tudor and Stuart port
London becomes a gateway to the markets and products of the world
Things to doWatch Maritime Greenwich change over time.
GalleriesGreenwich through the ages
Greenwich has been the site of many prestigious buildings
StoriesThe Royal Hospital for Seamen, Greenwich: 'A Refuge for All'
The foundation of the Greenwich Hospital and the Greenwich Royal Hospital School
Related Resources
Related Galleries3 Galleries
Related Images387 Images
Related Hot spot1 Hot spot
National Maritime Museum/Royal Observatory GreenwichNew Opportunities Fund 
Legal & CopyrightPartner sites:BristolHartlepoolLiverpoolSouthamptonAbout this SiteFeedbackText Only