The 19th-century port
|Millwall Docks and the Royal Albert Dock|
The increase in trade in the late 19th century led to more improvements to the port. The Millwall Docks on the Isle of Dogs opened in 1868.
The owners hoped to rent the quayside sites to industrial firms.
The Finnish barque Ponape (1903) was typical of the hundreds of sailing ships carrying Baltic grain and timber to the Millwall Docks.