By 1810 the coffee house had become too crowded and the dealers moved to the nearby Antwerp Tavern (also known as the Baltic Coffee House).
In 1823, as London's global trading connections expanded, the Baltic Club was founded. It was a formal association and it standardized trading regulations.
In 1900 the club merged with the London Shipping Company and formed the Baltic and Mercantile Shipping Exchange. The organisation then moved into new premises at Jeffrey Square in the City. Today the organisation is the world's main international shipping exchange.