The Poplar Hospital for Accidents was busy from the moment it opened. From that time, workers at the East and West India Docks (and from the 1860s, the Millwall Dock) did not have to travel far for medical attention.
At first, the hospital catered only for the male workers at the port. It was later expanded to provide general facilities for the Poplar district. A new wing, including wards for women, was added in 1891-94.
The photograph on the right shows the hospital after the war, around 1950. By then, the original hospital had been replaced by more functional buildings. The hospital was still very busy in this period.