Repro ID: H4900
Title: The stone at the entrance of the former Scandinavian Seamen's Temperance Hostel.
Description: The stone at the entrance of the former Scandinavian Seamen's Temperance Hostel in Garford Street, near the West India Docks. It was unveiled at the opening of the Hostel in February 1889 by Prince Oskar of Sweden and Norway. Oskar was the son of King Gustav, and father of Count Folk von Bernadotte, who became famous as head of the Swedish Red Cross during the Second World War. The Scandinavian Seamen's Temperance Hostel occupied this building until it closed in 1928. The building served as a Salvation Army Hostel until June 2003, and is now earmarked for demolition.
Creator: Cleve Severin
Date: 27 June 2003
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London