The National Maritime Museum

Boys of Greenwich Royal Hospital School.
View full size imageBoys of Greenwich Royal Hospital School. © NMM
From 1806 to 1933 the National Maritime Museum buildings, including the Queen's House, were home to the Greenwich Hospital School. Boys educated in this school went to sea, many joined the Royal Navy. Until 1841 there were also girls in the school.

Main entrance to the National Maritime Museum
View full size imageThe National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. © NMM
The National Maritime Museum was formally established by Act of Parliament in 1934. It was opened to the public by George VI on 27 April 1937. It includes the 17th-century Queen’s House and, from the 1950s, the Royal Observatory, Greenwich. The collections comprise about 2.48 million items, many on loan to museums elsewhere in Britain. The public galleries at Greenwich display a thematically arranged selection and the remainder are accessible for public interest and research in various ways. 

 Find out more:
Stories The National Maritime Museum and the Queen's House
* National Maritime Museum