The Trafalgar Tavern


Trafalgar Tavern.
View full size imageTrafalgar, Greenwich. © NMM

The Trafalgar Tavern was designed by John Kay and opened in 1837 on the site of the Old George Inn. Charles Dickens regularly dined there with his friends Thackeray and Stanfield.

Trafalgar Tavern, Greenwich.
View full size imageThe balcony at the Trafalgar Tavern. © NMM

It also became famous for its whitebait dinners, held by the Liberal Party.

The whitebait were netted in the river and cooked almost immediately, served with iced champagne or punch.

Trafalgar Tavern as the Royal Alfred Merchant Seamen's Institution.
View full size imageTrafalgar Tavern as the Royal Alfred Merchant Seamen's Institution. © NMM

After its closure in 1915, the building became an institute for merchant seamen, and then a working men's club.

However, in the 1960s it was reopened as a pub having been restored to its Victorian grandeur.

 Find out more:
Fact file The Trafalgar Tavern
Games Match historical pictures of pubs with modern day photographs