Built in 1720, on the site of an earlier pub, the Grapes Tavern served the maritime community around Limehouse Basin.
The pub was immortalised as the Six Jolly Fellowship Porters pub in Charles Dickens's 'Our Mutual Friend'.
In his novel, Dickens mentions the preparation of 'hot purl', a hot, sweetened porter.
It was popular in Thames-side public houses with customers engaged in cold outdoor work and was also sold from boats on the river.
The Grapes was popular for many years with lightermen and held a licence to sell alcohol from 6am to cater to local work patterns.
Today, the pub houses a fine restaurant and a covered balcony overlooking the Thames.