The Greenwich Foot Tunnel, running between Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs, was built by the London County Council in 1899-1902. It was designed by the LCC's Chief Engineer Sir Alexander Binnie, responsible also for the Blackwall Tunnel (1897) and the new Vauxhall Bridge (1906).
The tunnel replaced the unreliable Greenwich Steam Ferry. Inside the tunnel, lined with white tiles, only the lighting has changed since 1902. The tunnel was once used by thousands of workers in the docks and the industries on the Isle of Dogs, and also gave East Enders easy access to Greenwich. Relatively few people use the tunnel today.