Opened in 1819, this was one of the many bridges to the west of London Bridge built in the early 19th century. The designer was the great civil engineer John Rennie, responsible also for Waterloo Bridge, the West India Docks and (posthumously) for the new London Bridge.
Rennie's massive cast-iron bridge lasted a whole century. In 1912-21, a new steel Southwark Bridge was built to the designs of Mott and Hay. This is still in use.