The Woolwich Foot Tunnel was designed as an alternative to the nearby Woolwich Free Ferry, opened in 1889. The ferry was often delayed by London's severe fogs.
The tunnel owed much to the efforts of Will Crooks, hero of the 1889 docks strike and later Chairman of the LCC's Bridges Committee.
The tunnel opened on 26 October 1912, and was just as busy as its Greenwich counterpart. It was used by thousands of workers in the Royal Docks and in the industries of North Woolwich and Silvertown. It remains in use to this day, though far fewer people use it.