Info

Rotherhithe Tunnel

Northern entrance to the Rotherhithe Tunnel, 1925.
View full size imageNorthern entrance to the Rotherhithe Tunnel, 1925. © NMM
The Rotherhithe Tunnel was the second of the London County Council's road tunnels. It linked Rotherhithe with Shadwell on the north bank. Designed by Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice, it was begun in 1904 and opened in 1908.

Caisson for the Rotherhithe Tunnel under cast at the Thames Ironworks.
View full size imageCaisson for the Rotherhithe Tunnel under cast at the Thames Ironworks. © NMM
Its construction made use of many lessons learned elsewhere, and it was built with little of the drama associated with the Thames or even the Blackwall Tunnel.

It was originally built for vehicles and pedestrians, though few pedestrians would want to use it now. The tunnel remains in use, but like its counterpart in Blackwall, it is clearly showing its age.