The first Blackfriars Bridge, linking the western part of the City of London with Southwark, was designed by Robert Mylne and completed in 1769. This was the third bridge (after London and Westminster) across the Thames in London.
It was originally called the William Pitt Bridge (Pitt had been Prime Minister in 1757-61 and 1766-68), but the public preferred to call it 'Blackfriars' Bridge. It was a toll bridge until 1785.
The second Blackfriars Bridge, designed by Cubitt and Carr, opened exactly 100 years after the first. It survives to this day.