Repro ID: PT2303
Title: Laboratory Square at Woolwich Arsenal.
Description: Ordnance stores were first set up at the dockyard at Woolwich in the 16th century under a directive of Henry VIII. The first recorded building on the present Royal Arsenal site was a mansion called Tower House, built in 1545, within an area known as the Warren. Gun manufacturing and proofing had taken place within the City of London but a more isolated area was desirable and from the 1650s guns were tested at the Warren. In 1671 Tower Place and the adjacent land was bought by the Crown for use as ordnance stores. In 1696 the Royal Laboratories were built. By that time the Warren was the largest gun repository in the country.
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London