Repro ID: N32884
Title: The training ship Arethusa.
Description: The frigate HMS 'Arethusa' was loaned by the Admiralty to Lord Shaftesbury in 1877, to join another ship, the 'Chichester', already moored at Greenhithe and in use as a training vessel. Shaftesbury aimed to help “poor boys of good character who desired to go to sea”, having been appalled by the poverty that he had encountered on the streets of London. Both vessels could house around 200 boys at a time, where they were taught the skills needed for life at sea, mainly in the navy. This photograph shows the second 'Arethusa', formerly the 'Peking', in her new mooring at Upnor on the River Medway.
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London