Repro ID: Bhc3560
Title: The East Indiaman Prince of Wales embarking troops off Gravesend, 1845.
Description: The 'Prince of Wales' was a large vessel specially fitted-out for the conveyance of the East India Company's troops. She was built by Green's of Blackwall in 1842 to a design known as that of the 'Blackwall Frigates' - Indiamen with the single-decked appearance of frigates. The ship is shown anchored off Gravesend, with Tilbury Fort on the north Bank of the Thames under her bow. The river vessels in the left foreground include a swim-head, ketch-rigged Thames barge with a load of baled hay. A merchantman flying the Blue Peter flag is passing down stream under pilot between the 'Prince of Wales' and the fort, and other shipping can be seen further down river on the right.
Creator: John Lynn (attributed).
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London