Repro ID: PU6034
Title: The Discovery convict ship at Deptford, by EW Cooke.
Description: While under construction as a merchant ship in a Thames yard, the 'Discovery' was purchased in November 1789 by the Admiralty, which was looking for a ship suitable 'for surveying in Remote Parts'. Launched and named in December, she was moved to Deptford Dockyard for outfitting. HMS 'Discovery' was commanded by Captain Vancouver on his great voyage to the northwest coast of America in 1791-95. She was 29 metres long and had a displacement of 337 tons. After her epic voyage of exploration, the 'Discovery' returned to the Thames in October 1795. Until early in 1798 she lay idle at Deptford. She was then moved to the yard that had built her for conversion into a bomb ship. In April 1801 she was part of the force under Nelson that attacked Copenhagen. Thereafter she was laid up much of the time, and she was finally paid off at Sheerness in December 1805. In 1808 the dockyard there reduced her to the service of a convict hulk. In this capacity she served for 10 years at Sheerness and a further 15 years at Woolwich. Thence she was moved once more to Deptford, where she was broken up. Demolition was completed in February 1834.
Creator: William Edward Cooke
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London