Repro ID: H5271
Title: Hospital of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews, Stepney Green, London.
Description: Behind this building was established the first cemetery of the Portuguese Jews who fled the inquisition. The hospital was initially founded in 1748 at Lemen Street and then transferred in 1790 to this site. This building was originally erected in 1912 and housed the Beth Holim or hospital and old peoples home of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregation until 1977 when it was moved to Wembley.
Creator: Andrew Holt
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London