Repro ID: BHC3384
Title: Building the Great Leviathan. Description: Designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the 'Great Eastern' was built by the engineer and iron-ship designer John Scott Russell at a site adjacent to Millwall Shipyard during 1857. On the far left of this scene there are two barges flying the Royal Standard and another Admiralty barge. It probably denotes a private visit that Queen Victoria made to the ship on 28 June 1858. This was not to Millwall, but took place after the ship had been floated down to her new moorings at Deptford on 31 January 1858, for fitting out. In the distance the domes and facades of the Royal Naval College are visible. The hospital ship 'Dreadnought' with a single mast can be seen to the right of the college. The foreground is full of carefully observed river craft including a Dutch trading smack and Thames barges, together with a variety of other small river craft. In the foreground a Thames barge, with its mast lowered, contains a number of people on board including several children.
Creator: William Parrott
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London