Repro ID: H4301
Title: An aerial view of Tilbury Docks in the late 1960s.
Description: The P&O liner 'Iberian' and the Swedish ferry 'Saga' at the Port of Tilbury in the late 1960s. This was an important period for Tilbury, as the Port of London Authority was investing in new facilities for handling containers. Tilbury has since emerged as a major container port, though it still handles large volumes of general cargoes. With the closure of the inner London docks, Tilbury is the only survivor of the enclosed docks taken over by the PLA in 1909. The PLA no longer owns Tilbury, having sold it to Forth Ports Ltd.
Date: Late 1960s
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London