Repro ID: H2814
Title: Memorial to Charles Mare (1815-98).
Description: Charles Mare (1815-98) was a pioneer of iron shipbuilding on the Thames. Mare and Co. Iron and Shipping Works had been founded in 1838 at Orchard Place, between the East India Dock Basin and Bow Creek. One of the most important establishments on the Thames, his works was eventually declared bankrupt in the 1850s. The yard was re-founded, under new leadership, as the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Ltd, in 1857. Two years later, Mare found sufficient backing to take over John Scott Russell's old yard at Millwall, but the venture also proved unsuccessful. After being bankrupted again in 1867, Mare worked as a marine boat-building inspector on the Thames. He died in poverty in 1898. The marble memorial shown above was provided by public subscription, with the support of the West Ham Borough Council and Thames Ironworks, after his death.
Date: c. 1898
Credit line: Newham Archives and Local Studies Library collection.