Jump to content | Home

Portcities London

reflecting our cultures

[Bypass: Visit the Port Cites Consortium]
[Bypass: Search Facilities]
      Advanced Search

Maritime London Partnership

-Bypass site links |  Full graphics | About this Site | Feedback

On this site:

[Bypass: Main Menu]
You are here:  PortCities London home > The working Thames

Back to Greenwich Town Centre
The Ferreira in the Albion Dock in 1921.The Ferreira in the Albion Dock in 1921.
Ferreira in the Albion Dock, Surrey Commercial Docks.

© National Maritime Museum, London

Repro ID: H0425
Title: The Ferreira in the Albion Dock in 1921.
Description: This ship was initially launched in 1869 as the famous 'Cutty Sark'. She was involved in the tea trade and from 1885 to 1895 the Australian wool trade but was then sold to the Portuguese and renamed the 'Ferreira' . By the early 1920s she was in a sorry state of repair and underwent a refit at London's Surrey Docks. She was discovered by Captain Wilfred Dowman who remembered her from her heyday in the 1880s and bought her from her Portuguese owners to have her restored and re-rigged. After his death in 1938, his widow presented the clipper to the Incorporated Thames Nautical Training College at Greenhithe on the Thames, where she remained until after the Second World War in 1954 she was moved into a specially constructed dry dock at Greenwich. Her Majesty the Queen opened her to visitors in 1957 and she has been a popular visitor attraction ever since.
Creator: Unknown
Date: 1921
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London


[Bypass: Search Facilities]
      Advanced Search

RELATED RESOURCES


24 Images



Top | Legal & Copyright |  Partner Sites: Bristol | Hartlepool | Liverpool | Southampton | About this Site | Feedback | Full graphics