Repro ID: N47468
Title: The pilot ketch Vigilant.
Description: The pilot ketch 'Vigilant' was built in 1879 for Trinity House. She weighed 70 tons and operated on the River Thames. A Trinity House pilot would normally board an incoming vessel off Gravesend and then take her up to London. Pilots were highly trained mariners who knew the tides, currents and shoals of the Thames and its estuary.
Date: c. 1880
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London