Repro ID: BHC3598
Title: The Royal Caroline, by John Clevely, the Elder.
Description: The 'Royal Caroline' was built in 1749 by Joshua Allin at Deptford, and was an adapted sixth-rate. It replaced the 'Carolina' as the principal royal yacht. In 1761 she was sumptuously fitted out to collect the Queen Consort to be, Princess Charlotte, from Kiel, and her name was changed to the 'Royal Charlotte'. This broadside-view ship portrait from off the starboard bow, shows the ship in full sail flying the red and blue ensign and the common pendant.
Creator: John Cleveley, the Elder
Credit line: National Maritime Museum, London