The Port of London Authority (PLA) took over the docks from the private companies. It was run by a board representing the private and public users of the port.
|Loading a hydroplane on to a steamer at the London Docks. © NMM|
An important step taken by the Authority was the reduction and fixing of docking charges. This was a great help to merchants and ship-owners.
Control of the river
As well as running the docks, the PLA had overall control of the river from Teddington to the sea. It was responsible for managing the river, river traffic and pollution.
|Cruise liner berthed at Tilbury Docks. © NMM|
However, the PLA did not take over the wharves, which were left in private hands. The 'free water clause' remained, but lighters had to pay a registration fee to the PLA.
Another Royal dock
The PLA began to improve the docks and port facilities. The river was dredged to a depth that modern ships of deep draught could navigate.
|PLA map of the Royal Victoria, Royal Albert and King George V Docks, 1934. © NMM |
The most important change was the construction of a new dock, south of the Royal Albert Dock, which could take very large ships. The new King George V Dock was completed in 1921. The Royal group of docks together formed the largest area of enclosed water in the world.
The new dock was well over a kilometre long (4000 feet). It averaged about 200 metres (650 feet) wide and had some 5 kilometres (3 miles) of quays. Its entrance lock from the river was about 250 metres (800 feet) long and 30 metres (100 feet) wide.
|The Royal Group of Docks, c. 1930. © NMM |
The maximum loaded draught of vessels using the dock was 10 metres (nearly 33 feet). This photograph of the George V Dock was taken from the air. It also shows the Royal Albert Dock.
Ships of up to 30,000 tons could be accommodated in the King George V Dock. The largest to use it was the 35,000 ton RMS Mauretania in 1939.
|The Surat in King George V Dock, 1955. © NMM|
The dry dock was the largest in London and on the Thames only Tilbury had a larger one.
|Loading cargo on to the Corfu (1931) at the King George V Dock. © NMM|
This is the King George V Dock in October 1955. At the quayside is the P&O cargo/passenger liner Corfu, built in 1931 for the far east service.
The quay at which the ship is lying is now part of the site of the London City Airport.