The riverside wharves
|The wharves and the docks|
By 1899, there were more than 300 working wharves in London. They received more than half of the total tonnage arriving at the port.
General wharves and specialist wharves
By this time, there were two distinct types of wharf. The traditional general business wharf dealt in most commodities, particularly high-value goods such as spices, spirits, tea and coffee.
The second type was the specialist wharf, which was usually situated further down the river.
These served the industrial plants, from power stations and gasworks to cable works and barge builders.
Competition with the docks
With the construction of the first enclosed docks, the wharves went through a tough time. Each new dock company received a 21-year monopoly on handling the goods in which it specialized. This took much valuable commerce away from the wharves.
Although the wharfingers received compensation for their lost trade, they were forced to concentrate on goods the docks would not handle. The end of the 21-year monopolies meant that the wharves could once again compete for many types of business they had lost.
Even more competition became possible with the passing of the Customs Consolidation Act in 1853. This allowed many wharves to handle dutiable goods on the same basis as the docks.
However, the wharves were able to take full advantage of the 'free water clause'. This allowed lighters free access to the docks to receive goods directly from the ships.
After this so-called 'overside delivery', the lighters would unload the goods at the wharves. So the wharves, rather than the docks, would receive payments from the ship owners.
A strange relationship
At first, the 'free water' privilege was not too worrying for the docks, because it was not used often. However, by the middle of the 19th century, it was becoming very noticeable.
This put the wharves and the docks in a strange relationship. The wharves relied on the greater volume of traffic attracted to the docks.
As overside deliveries became more frequent, the docks were effectively subsidizing the work of the wharves. The dock companies frequently tried to end the free water clause, but without success.
This situation continued after the Port of London Authority (PLA) was established in 1909. Many wharfingers invested large sums in improved facilities, but the spectacular success of the wharves in the 20th century would not have been possible without the mammoth effort of the PLA to maintain the port and the river.
The growth of the wharves
Several general wharves invested in new facilities from the 1850s onwards. The most successful, particularly the Hay's Wharf Company, were able to take over their smaller neighbours.
Although larger ships could no longer reach the Pool, the free water clause ensured an uninterrupted stream of goods. This period also saw the growth of specialist wharves down the river, as London industrialized and developed power stations.
Heyday and closure
The wharves shared both the prosperity and the difficulties of the docks right until the very end. In the heyday of the port in the 1950s and 1960s, wharf companies enjoyed immense success. Many were still investing in improved facilities.
However, both the docks and the general wharves shared the same fate. New methods of handling goods, particularly the use of containers, made the general wharves redundant. As containers could be moved by road or rail straight from the port to shops or factories, it was no longer economical to use the wharves.
All the general wharves were closed by the early 1970s. Some specialist wharves down river still survive, but the river is now quieter than it has been for many centuries.
|Back to The National Dock Labour Scheme and labour relations after 1945|