Powering the City
|Greenwich Power Station|
Power for the Underground
It was built in two stages between 1902 and 1910 for the London County Council to power the capital's tramways and tube railways, which were being electrified at that time.
The two chimneys for stage one were 76 m (250 feet) high. But following objections from the Royal Observatory, the stage two chimneys were reduced to only 55 m (182 feet).
Steam engines and turbines
Gas turbine age
These originally burned oil, but were later converted to dual-fuel (oil and gas). The generators are housed in what was formerly the boiler house, and they have a total capacity of 117.6 MW, generated at 11,000 volts. This voltage can be increased to 22,000 volts for connection to the London Underground electricity system.
The coaling pier
Coal was landed from colliers onto the pier, and then sent to a large number of storage bunkers.
The pier is now no longer used because the relatively small amount of oil used at the station comes by road tanker, and gas and oil do not produce the ash that coal used to, which was removed via the jetty.
Interestingly, the Poet Laureate C. Day Lewis used the space under the pier as the site of a murder mystery when writing thrillers under the name 'Nicholas Blake'!
|Back to London declines as a whaling port|