|The origins of Trinity House|
Petition to Henry VIII
The mariners pointed out that many of the men involved in pilotage were inexperienced and easily tempted to make money from wrecking.
They also stressed that there could be serious consequences if this unregulated practice continued, as it was dangerous to allow 'foreigners, including Scots, Flemings and French, the opportunity to learn the secrets of the King's streams'.
Trinity House gets its charter
Their title was 'The Master, Wardens and Assistants of the Guild or Fraternitie of the most glorious and blessed Trinitie and Saint Clement in the parish Church of Deptford Stronde in the County of Kent'. (St Clement is the patron saint of mariners.)
The Corporation's headquarters, along with several almshouses, were established at Trinity Hall near St Nicholas' Church, Deptford. The picture shown here is the oldest known view of the church. Trinity Hall and the almshouses can be seen to the east.
The first master
The Charter was accepted from Henry VIII by Sir Thomas Spert, Comptroller of the Navy and Master of the man-of-war, the Henri Grace a Dieu (also known as the Great Harry). Sir Thomas was the first person to hold the title of Master of Trinity House and was the longest holder of this position (1514-41).
The Charter also allowed the Corporation to collect light dues from ships using its beacons and buoys on the Thames. Payment was:
The customs officers were responsible for collecting the money. This artist's impression of the Pool of London shows how busy the river was in this early period and how many ships would have had to pay their dues to Trinity House.
The Trinity Brethren
The master of the Corporation was assisted by a deputy master who was elected from the Elder Brethren. Several of the masters, deputy masters and Elder Bethren of Trinity House are shown in the attached gallery in the right hand column.
While the deputy master would manage the day-to-day running of the corporation, the master's role was as to communicate with the Crown or the government.
To become one of the Brethren, a potential member had to have a close association with the sea. This image shows the members, all in uniform, attending the monthly court inside one of the large meeting rooms in Trinity House.
The Brethren of Trinity House had to wear a distinctive uniform while on duty at the Corporation's headquarters.
The two items of uniform shown here include a full dress coat of blue cloth (1866 pattern) and the Trinity House cocked hat (1879 pattern).
As the Corporation's influence grew, its achievements were finally rewarded. On 13 January 1573, Elizabeth I granted Trinity House its own coat of arms with the motto:
'Trinitas in Unitate' (Trinity in Unity).
Move to Trinity Square
During the Second World War the building was damaged by bombing. After the war it was restored and was reopened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1953. Today it remains the centre of the Corporation's activities.
The ceremony continued for many years and was kept up by the Duke of Wellington.
He was Master from 1837, but the custom ended soon after his death in 1852.
|Back to Demise of the Great Eastern|