The 'Princess Alice' tragedy
The Princess Alice
The paddle steamer Princess Alice was launched at Greenock in 1865.
Originally known as the Bute, she served on the Wemyss-Arran route for a year.
In 1866 she was bought by the Watermans Steam Packet Company (later the London Steamboat Co).
Renamed the Princess Alice, she served on the Thames excursion routes for 12 years.
Her last journey
On 3 September 1878, the Princess Alice made the routine trip from Swan Pier near London Bridge to Gravesend and Sheerness.
She carried hundreds of Londoners, many of whom were visiting Rosherville Gardens in Gravesend.
The Bywell Castle
She had just been repainted at Millwall Dry Dock, and was returning to Newcastle to pick up a cargo of coal destined for Alexandria in Egypt.
|Back to Evacuation|