PortCities London

Smaller Shaw Savill & Albion vessels

Many Shaw Savill & Albion Line vessels used the Royal Docks in the early 1960s. This selection shows some of the smaller Shaw Savill cargo liners, presented in the order of construction.

The 'Coptic'.

The 'Coptic'.

The 'Doric'.

The 'Doric'.

The 'Coptic' (1928, 8281 GRT) in the King George V Dock in March 1963. Built by Swan Hunter, she had collided with HMAS 'Adelaide' off the New South Wales coast in September 1940. She was scrapped in Belgium in 1965.

The 'Doric' (1949, 10,674 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in November 1961. Built by Fairfield, she was scrapped in Belgium in 1969.
**

The 'Cedric'.

The 'Cedric'.

The 'Alaric'.

The 'Alaric'.

The 'Cedric' (1952, 11,232 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in August 1964. She was sold to Liberia in 1976.

The 'Alaric' (1958, 6692 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in October 1962. She was sold to Iran in 1972.
**

The 'Romanic'.

The 'Romanic'.

The 'Canopic'.

The 'Canopic'.

The 'Romanic' (1954, 6230 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock, c. 1960. Built by Smith's of Middlesbrough for the Bolton Steam Shipping Company of London, she immediately went on charter to Shaw Savill, serving on their New Zealand-South Africa route. She was sold to the Plate Shipping Company of Piraeus in 1961.

The 'Canopic' (1954, 11,166 GRT) in the King George V Dock in June 1965. She was sold to a Cyprus-based line in 1976. Further along is the P&O's 'Sunda' (1952).
**

The 'Cretic'.

The 'Cretic'.

The 'Afric'.

The 'Afric'.

The 'Cretic' (1955, 11,151 GRT) in the King George V Dock in November 1961. She was transferred to the Royal Mail Lines in 1972.

The 'Afric' (1957, 6533 GRT) in the King George V Dock in June 1963. She was transferred to the Pacific Steam Navigation Company in 1968.
**

The 'Ionic'.

The 'Ionic'.

The 'Ionic'.

The 'Ionic'.

The 'Ionic' (1959, 11,219 GRT) in Galleons Reach with the tug 'Iona' (1960) in July 1965. The 'Ionic' was sold to a Cyprus-based line in 1978.

The 'Ionic' (1959, 11,219 GRT) in Galleons Reach in July 1965. The PLA tug 'Plateau' (1952) is in the foreground.
**

The 'Illyric'.

The 'Illyric'.

The 'Laurentic'.

The 'Laurentic'.

The 'Illyric' (1960, 11,256 GRT) in the King George V Dock in November 1961. Built by Vickers Armstrong, she was sold in 1978 and scrapped a year later.

The new refrigerated cargo liner 'Laurentic' (1965, 7751 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in August 1965. She was sold to a Greek line in 1980 and renamed 'Spartan Reefer'.
**




   Back to What is left of the old port: The West India Docks
**
*