PortCities London

The New Zealand Shipping Company

This line was founded in London in 1873. As the name indicates, it specialised in trade with New Zealand, mostly taking out emigrants and bringing back meat. From 1881 it operated refrigeration ships.

It acquired a stake in the Canadian-Australasian Line in 1910 and took over the Federal Line in 1912. The line was itself taken over by P&O in 1916 but retained its identity until 1973.


The 'Paparoa'.

The 'Paparoa'.

The 'Rangitane'.

The 'Rangitane'.

The 'Paparoa' (1944, 10,006 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in September 1964. Built by Stephen Alexander & Sons Ltd of Glasgow, she was transferred to the subisidiary Federal Line in 1967 and scrapped in 1970.

The 'Rangitane' (1949, 21,809 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock. Built by John Brown and Company of Clydebank, she could carry nearly 400 passengers. She was sold in 1968 and scrapped in 1976.
**

The 'Rangitoto'.

The 'Rangitoto'.

The 'Hurunui'.

The 'Hurunui'.

The 'Rangitoto' (1949, 21,809 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in November 1961. Built by Vickers Armstrong Ltd of Newcastle, she was a sister ship to the 'Rangitane', and could carry over 400 passengers on the London -Wellington route. She was transferred in 1967 and scrapped in 1976.

The 'Hurunui' (1948, 11,276 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock, c. 1960. She was transferred to the Federal Line in 1967 and scrapped in 1973.
**

The 'Ruahine'.

The 'Ruahine'.

The 'Pipiriki'.

The 'Pipiriki'.

The 'Ruahine' (1951, 17,851 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock in June 1962. Built by John Brown & Company Ltd, she was sold in 1968.

The 'Pipiriki' (1944, 10,065 GRT) in the King George V Dock, c. 1960. Built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Ltd, she was transferred to the Federal Line in 1966.
**

The 'Rakaia'.

The 'Rakaia'.

The 'Haparangi'.

The 'Haparangi'.

The 'Rakaia' (1945, 8213 GRT) in June 1963. Built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, she was transferred to the Federal Line in 1966.

The 'Haparangi' (1947, 11,281 GRT) in the Royal Albert Dock, c. 1960. Built by John Brown & Company Ltd., Clydebank, she was transferred to the Federal Line in 1967.
**

The 'Wharanui'.

The 'Wharanui'.
*

The 'Wharanui' (1956, 8701 GRT), in the Royal Albert Dock in August 1964. Built by John Brown & Company Ltd, Clydebank, she was transferred to the Federal Line in 1967.
*




   Back to What is left of the old port: The West India Docks
**
*