PortCities London

The Brocklebank Line

Founded by Thomas and John Brocklebank in 1801, this line came to specialise in trade with India. It moved its base from Whitehaven to Liverpool in 1819, and began a service from London to China in 1860. It all ran services to the West Indies, South America and Canada, but gradually concentrated solely on its Indian trade.

By the time Grierson was taking his photographs, the Brocklebank Line was in decline. The closure of the Suez Canal in 1967 and containerization gradually killed its business.


The 'Maipura'.

The 'Maipura'.

The 'Maidan'.

The 'Maidan'.

The Brocklebank Line's 'Maipura' (1952, 9,748 GRT) in the Royal Albert Docks, c. 1960. This vessel served the India route until she was sold in 1972.

The Brocklebank Line's 'Maidan' (1946, 8,533 GRT) in the West India Dock in September 1964. She was sold to a Cypriot line in 1968.
**

The 'Masirah'.

The 'Masirah'.

The 'Masirah'.

The 'Masirah'.

The PLA tugs 'Plateau' (1952) and 'Platina' (1952) and the Brocklebank Line's 'Masirah' (1957, 8,805 GRT) in the King George V Dock in 1964. The 'Masirah' was sold in 1972.

The Brocklebank Line's 'Masirah' (1957) and the PLA tug 'Platina' (1952) in the King George V Dock.
**




   Back to What is left of the old port: The West India Docks
**
*