The southern entrance to the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.
Inside the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.
The cupola at the southern end of the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, which was built between 1899 and 1902 by the London County Council. It was the first free crossing between Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs, and was much used by those who worked in the docks and the industries of the Isle of Dogs.
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel, running between Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs, was built by the London County Council in 1899-1902. The tunnel replaced the unreliable Greenwich Steam Ferry. Inside the tunnel, lined with white tiles, only the lighting has changed since 1902. The tunnel was once used by thousands of workers in the docks and the industries of the Isle of Dogs, and also gave East Enders easy access to Greenwich. Relatively few people use the tunnel today.
Mumford's Granary on Deptford Creek.
The Gas Holder, East Greenwich.
Mumford's Granary (1897) on Deptford Creek. This is the only surviving part of Mumford's Flour Mills, founded in 1790. The mills received grain directly from small vessels on the Creek.
The huge Gas Holder no 1, built in 1886 as part of the South Metropolitan Gas Company's East Greenwich Gasworks. It was once part of a pair. The second gas holder was even larger, but was demolished after the closure of the Gasworks.