The Royal Dockyard at Woolwich
A View of Woolwich
The Royal Dockyard at Woolwich. This view is taken from the Thames opposite the New Offices looking down the river. The gatehouse and clockhouse at the dockyard were built between 1780 and 1789.
The dockyard was founded in 1513 by Henry VIII for the building of his new ship, the 'Great Harry'. The yard continued to be enlarged until the middle of the 19th century in order to build steamships.
A View of His Majesty's Dock Yard at Woolwich, on the South side of the River Thames, in the County of Kent
A Geometrical Plan, and North Elevation of His Majesty's Dockyard at Woolwich
A view of Woolwich from the north bank of the Thames showing a bustling scene of activity on the river.
By the mid 18th-century, Woolwich was the fifth largest dockyard in the country (after Portsmouth, Plymouth, Deptford, and Chatham). It employed just over 700 men and specialised in heavy repair and building work.