The barque 'Viking' at Charlton Buoys.
The ‘Viking’ in the Royal Victoria Dock.
The four-masted barque 'Viking' (1907, 2959 GRT) alongside other vessels at Charlton Buoys. She was built as a training ship for the Danish merchant marine. From 1929 until World War II, she was owned by Gustaf Erikson and served on the Australian wheat run.
The barque ‘Viking’ (1907) in the Royal Victoria Dock in 1933. She had probably brought Australian wheat to one of the flour mills in that dock. In 1950 she was sold to the Swedish city of Gothenburg, where she is currently preserved. Close to the ‘Viking’ is one of the Blue Star Line’s great liners.
The barque ‘Viking’ at the entrance to the Royal Docks.
The barque 'Ponape' in the Millwall Docks.
The four-masted steel barque ‘Viking’ (1907) manoeuvring with the aid of tugs at the entrance to the Royal Docks, c. 1933.
The 'Ponape' tied up to the Mark Lane bouys in the Millwall Docks in June 1936. Another Erikson barque, the 'L'Avenir' (1908) can be seen on the left.
The 'Ponape' in the Millwall Docks.
The bowsprit of the 'Ponape'.
The barque 'Ponape' (1903) in the Millwall Docks in June 1936. Launched at Genoa as the 'Regina Elena', she was bought and renamed by Laiesz of Hamburg in 1910. Detained by the British in 1914, she was eventually bought by Gustaf Erikson in 1929. She brought Australian grain to Britain.
An extreme bow view of the barque 'Ponape' (1903) entering the Millwall Docks in June 1936. The man sitting on the bowsprit is Williamson. This must have been her last visit, as she was sold to be broken up in September of that year. Her figurehead is preserved in the Ålands Sjöfartsmuseum.
The 'Ponape' entering the MIllwall Docks.
The four-masted barque 'Ponape' (1903) entering the Millwall Docks with a cargo of Australian wheat.