Between 1932 and 1937, the four-masted barque L'Avenir (1908, 2738 GRT) was part of the Erikson fleet, and carried Australian grain to London.
Built in Germany, in 1911 she became the first sailing ship to be fitted with a radio transmitter. She disappeared without trace in March 1938.
This is a series of photographs taken during her stay in the Millwall Docks in June 1936, when she discharged a cargo of Australian wheat at McDougall's massive Wheatsheaf Mill.
|Back to What is left of the old port: The West India Docks|