The yacht 'Isabel' lying off Deptford
Shipping on the Thames off Deptford
The 'Isabel' close to Deptford with a view of Greenwich in the distance and several other ships on the river.
A frigate is visible in the foreground, either drying its sails or preparing to come alongside in a light breeze. To the right is Deptford, with a timber store in the foreground, together with a crane for hoisting the wood ashore. Two small boats are being rowed and to the left is a coastal craft under sail. Behind it, to the right, is Greenwich Hospital.
The 'Royal Caroline'
The 'Royal Caroline' was built in 1749 by Joshua Allin at Deptford, and was an adapted sixth-rate. It replaced the 'Carolina' as the principal royal yacht. In 1761 she was sumptuously fitted out to collect the Queen Consort to be, Princess Charlotte, from Kiel, and her name was changed to the 'Royal Charlotte'. The painter, John Cleveley was born and died in Southwark, London. He worked in Deptford Dockyard and did not become a professional painter until later in life. The dockyard often features in his paintings. Two of his three sons also became painters after working in the dockyard.
This aerial view of the dockyard at Deptford was commissioned by the Navy Board, and was hung in their board room alongside pictures of the other Royal Dockyards. It clearly shows the Grand Storehouse, the wet docks, workshops, the mast pond, and warships under construction. The factories, shops and housing estates of New Cross and Lewisham have replaced the green fields and farmland.