Topographic model of the Royal Dockyard at Deptford
North east elevation of His Majesty's dock yard at Deptford, with part of the town
This model was completed in 1774 by two of the yard's shipwrights for George III. The king had models build of all six yards following his tour of the dockyards in 1773. The model was used to help plan the improvements made through the 1760s and 1770s. The model shows the yard at low tide. There is a ship nearing completion and another at an earlier stage of construction, still in frame. This reflects Deptford's main function as a building rather than a refitting yard.
This magnificent engraving shows the extent of the Deptford dockyard in the 18th century. At the top there is a picture of how the dockyard would have looked from the river. The vertical lines of the masts, church tower and clock tower on the Grand Storehouse balance the long horizontal lines of the dockyard buildings. It would have been an impressive sight. The geometrical plan is below, with a key to the main features on the right-hand side. The dockyard employed just over 800 men at this time.
The north-west prospect of Deptford in the County of Kent.
A plan and prospect of His Majesties Dock Yard at Deptford
This print explains that Deptford was of no great significance until Henry VIII set up a naval dockyard there. Afterwards, the dockyard became of great national importance. Prints such as these show that the public was interested in naval dockyards and took great national pride in them.
View of the docks at Deptford with several ships on the river.