(A trading wharf from 1794 to 1972)
|At the heart of the Pool of London|
|Butler's Wharf. © NMM|
Butler's Wharf is to the east of Tower Bridge, on the south side of the Thames. It is within an area known as the Pool of London.
The wharf made a significant contribution in the link between the Port of London and the trade of the British Empire.
Trade at Butler's Wharf included:
|Landing tapioca at Butler's Wharf. © NMM|
|Treading in tea at Butler's Wharf. © NMM|
Around 1910, an unknown photographer was commissioned by the Directors of Butler's Wharf Ltd, to document the daily life of the company.
More than one hundred photos illustrate how, with the exception of cranes unloading goods from a ship, all work was carried out manually. The Butler's Wharf Collection is in the archive of the National Monuments Record.
|1794||The first recorded association is a Mr Butler, who trades in grain from a rented warehouse.|
|1871-3||Butler's Wharf is completely re-built. The huge warehouses cover some 14 acres, and are linked together by high level bridges.|
|1972||Automated container terminals cause the wharf to become redundant. During this year, ships pay their last visit.|