|Explore this site|
|Royal Albert Dock
|London's 'Great Eastern' Dock|
When the Royal Albert Dock opened to shipping in 1880, it was considered to be the finest dock system in the world. It was originally planned as an extension of the Royal Victoria Dock, to cope with the successful meat and tobacco trade.
|The Royal Docks. © NMM|
The modern dock equipment installed at the Royal Albert Dock proved to be a success in the handling of large hogsheads (55 gallons) of tobacco from America. There were always coopers on hand to repair damaged casks and help with tobacco sampling. With the arrival of adequate refrigeration, the Royal Albert Dock began regularly to handle meat, fruit and vegetables from Spain and Italy.
|Frozen meat being discharged at the Royal Albert Dock, 1949. © NMM|
Built as a modern dock, the Royal Albert Dock was designed to accommodate the largest vessels afloat in 1880. This was increased after a second entrance was constructed, and the dock was able to handle vessels of up to 12,000 tons. Although the dock was built to berth sailing vessels, the presence of hydraulic cranes and steam winches enabled a smooth transition to the large steam vessels used to transport goods.
|The Royal Albert Dock. © NMM|
The Royal Albert Dock was also used as a terminus by passenger vessels. The Great Eastern railway ran a passenger service from Fenchurch Street to Gallions, adjacent to the dock basin.
- The site covered 87 acres, the largest purpose built dock in Britain at this time.
- Lucas & Aird undertook the contract and the engineer for the project was Sir Alexander Rendel.
- Around 500,000 cubic yards (382,277 cubic metres) of concrete and 20 million bricks were used to construct the dock system.
3000 men worked on the project, assisted by a steam land dredger, steam grabs, 70 steam cranes and 3 steam navvies.
- It cost £2.2 million and was one of the cheapest docks constructed in London.
- The dock was 1.75 miles (2.8 kiliometres) long and 9 metres deep. It had 3.125 (5 kilometres) miles of new quays. The dock was deepened to 10.36 metres in 1935.
- Two entrance locks connected the dock system to the river through a basin east of Manor Way. The Gallions Entrance Lock was 168 metres long by 24.4 metres across.
- The Royal Albert Dock had 2 small dry docks and 33 quayside transit sheds and warehouses. This included a large cold storage area.
- The Great Eastern Railway was taken across the dock, and an 860-ton swing bridge crossed the Gallions Entrance.
- The dock was served on both sides by extensions of the Great Eastern Railway. The dock had its own goods terminus in a warehouse on the north side of London Dock.
- The company built the Gallions Hotel for first-class steamer passengers. There were two subways, which gave direct access from the hotel to the quay of the Basin.
- The Royal Albert Dock was the first dock in London to be lit by electricity.
|1874||The London Dock Company begins construction of the Royal Albert Dock|
|June 1880||The Duke of Connaught officially opens the dock|
|1935||The North Quay is deepened and widened|
|1936||West India Dock trade is transferred to Royal Docks|
|6 September 1940||The Royal Albert Dock is one of the first targets for large scale bombing during the Second World War|
|25 September 1951||The contract for the reconstruction of the Gallions Entrance Lock is awarded to John Mowlem & Co. Ltd|
|1 January 1952||The Gallions Entrance Lock is closed to traffic|
|1956||The Gallions Entrance Lock is reopened to shipping|
|1981||The Royal Docks are closed|
|1982||Planning Application for City Airport is filed. It is to be housed on a disused quay between the King George V Dock and the Royal Albert Dock.|
|5 November 1987||The Queen officially opens City Airport.|
|1997||The Royal Business Park is opened on the north side of the dock|
|1998||University of East London’s Dockland Campus opens on the north side of the Albert Dock|
|2000||Docklands Regatta Centre is officially opened|
Find out more